Tuesday, February 24, 2009

**NY Breakdown**

You pulled me in, led by hands extending from the underground melodies
echoing from your subways
Lyrical stylings from the originators still thriving on your walls, yet saving room for those yet to come
You
intoxicated me with the ways you broke every rule
turned your back to every norm
you were your own world and I
wanted to exist in it
I wanted to color your skies brilliant turquoise and rich chocolate browns
paint my vision on skyscrapers, make it a part of you
wanted to dance on your streets with the city lights that posed as stars as my only spotlight
wanting to share my peace with you as old school cats once did on your avenues
I can hear Malcolm quoted, revealing the lie traveling in your wind
or west coast revolution charging across your bridge in the form of majestic black panthers
as this generation's street dreams now cover the avenues with messages trapped in wet cement
can't stop
won't stop
can't stop
won't stop
Til they can drive their caddies in your skies park on a cloud
smoke a L and just cool out with gold shades on their eyes
I want to feel you in my blood, pumping through me, taking me higher
I want to fly in
your world with people who mixed willingly yet unknowingly
forming a force of unstoppable kinetic energy that was whole
that was one
But no one forgets exactly who they are
I wanted to love on your fire escapes under your cloudy night skies
with one who shares a common light with me, a memory to remind me no matter where i go
there's nothing like a BK love affair with the smooth sounds of poetry over a jazz infused hip hop beat
Our soundtrack to my life with you
and when I'm through
I want to chill on your stoops and watch your people float by as you go
deeper
get deeper
get deeper into me
I want to be branded
I'll give the fire, you bring the mark
Because in a world of black and white
you're a cool kind of blue
Though the Ill will always have my heart
he was my first, he made the woman I always see before me
every relationship has its time
and you NY have drawn me and my image live in your basements
amongst the scent of Ls, the taste of liquor and the feel of paint
my image floats in between the bass beats of the music
she is sustained on the words of your poets, MCs and vocalists
and she is seen in the dreams of artists and relived on their canvases
NY you are inside of me
Break me down
to my core, reveal the sun that glows inside
NY break me down
show me my message, hand me a permanent red marker and tell me to leave my mark in the heart of the city , transform my art
NY break me down
down
down
I'm
down.


No comments:

Post a Comment